Resilience Resume – Steve Koch

Steve Koch | Associate Director for Leadership Programs, Office of Student Involvement

“I have developed an “adapt with a smile” approach to life, this approach fuels my positive attitude and is central to my role as a professional, husband and father.

Working in higher education for close to 20 years, and in non-profit for three years, I have received many blessings, conquered quite a few challenges, braved through some anticipated and unanticipated life changes, and witnessed countless amazing feats from others.

While in high school, my dream was to play college basketball, and although I was not recruited by any colleges, I was presented with an opportunity to compete at a small division three school. Shortly after the very first team practice, I endured a back injury that required invasive surgery, and my playing days were over. I went on to explore new things, take on new hobbies, and expand on my relationships. That account taught me to always be optimistic as I realized that my path was simply redirected, I experienced the beauty in other things, and I am truly grateful for that.

Twelve years into my job in higher education, I experienced yet another back injury, requiring another surgery. I went on disability and did not return to that job, as I chose to reinvent myself. I worked for a non-profit (and loved it) and that path ultimately led me to my dream job at Villanova.

My biggest test of resilience occurred when I lost my first wife to cancer. This incredibly devastating loss changed me completely. I now live every day with a sense of vigor and deep appreciation, and always with an open heart.

I am positive not because I believe life is easy, quite the contrary, I am positive because life is hard, and I know we all have the power to charge on, take forward steps, “redirect” and lean on one another in the spirit of love.”

Steve’s Resilience Resume Social Media Post

By Dan Luner
Dan Luner Digital Media & Assessment Specialist