AstraZeneca is a global, science-led, patient-centred biopharmaceutical company that focuses on discovering, developing, and commercialising prescription medicines for some of the world’s most serious diseases. But we’re more than a global leading pharmaceutical company. At AstraZeneca, we are dedicated to being a Great Place to Work and empowering employees to push the boundaries of science and fuel their entrepreneurial spirit. There’s no better place to make a difference in medicine, patients, and society.
About the Postdoc Programme:
Bring your expertise, apply your knowledge and follow the science! Our Postdoc Programme is for individuals looking to deliver exciting, high-impact projects in a collaborative and innovative environment. Working with peers and experts from different scientific backgrounds, together with a world class academic mentor aligned specifically to your project, you’ll be supported to drive the success of your project, publish papers, showcase your work at scientific conferences, and achieve your goals. Our training programme is designed to empower you in your career development journey, support you in developing valuable networks and equip you with transferrable skills.
About AstraZeneca in Gaithersburg, MD:
This is a two-year postdoctoral fellowship based out of our Gaithersburg facility in Maryland. This modern and vibrant scientific campus is the home of R&D and Oncology in the US and is only a short drive from Washington, DC. Our site offers a variety of amenities, including a fitness center, employee healthcare clinic, full-service cafeteria, game rooms, community garden and more!
About the Opportunity:
In this two-year role, you will lead a project to develop the next generation of monoclonal antibodies (mAbs). Working across Biologics Engineering and Biopharmaceutical Development, you’ll apply pioneering protein engineering tools and methods to design mAbs with enhanced formulation development properties. You’ll have the support of labs across our state-of-the-art R&D facilities, including Drug Discovery, PK/PD, and Data Science teams.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
- Lead projects to design, engineer and generate mAb variants with enhanced formulation development properties
- Work closely with PK/PD and Biopharmaceutical Development labs to conduct comprehensive characterization of mAb variants, including biochemical, biophysical, and pharmacokinetic studies
- Collaborate with Data Science colleagues to generate predictive structure-guided developability models based on experimental data
- Communicate results through peer-reviewed publications, internal and external presentations and conferences
Qualification, Skills & Experience
- PhD in structural biology, molecular biology, biochemistry, or related fields
- Strong scientific background in the areas of protein design and engineering
- Protein expression and purification skills
- Track record of peer reviewed journal publications
- Biophysical and biochemical analytical skills (e.g., ELISA, affinity measurements, light scattering, calorimetric, spectroscopic, and chromatography tools)
- Familiarity with in silico/computational tools to analyze protein structure
- Experience in the field of antibody design or development
Why should you apply?
This role is your opportunity to gain experience across different functions and develop a deep understanding of pharmaceutical industry operations, enabling you to expand your skill set and grow as a scientist. You’ll collaborate in a truly inclusive environment and gain not just the knowledge and confidence to thrive in the industry, but also the community to thrive no matter where your career takes you.
Ready for an exciting challenge? Apply today!
Competitive Remuneration And Benefits Apply
We offer a competitive Total Reward programme including a base salary and bonus. We have a generous paid time off programme and a comprehensive benefits package.