Applications are open for the 2024-2025 Avodah’s Jewish Service Corps, an immersive service year program running September 2024 – August 2025 for emerging changemakers ages 21-26.Spend a year serving full-time at a non-profit in Chicago, New Orleans, New York, or Washington, DC while living and learning in a justice-oriented Jewish community. As a member of the Jewish Service Corps, you’ll:
- Create lasting Jewish community. Home-cooked Shabbat dinners, late night conversations, and holiday celebrations make living in the bayit (communal home) memorable and meaningful. Corps Members co-create intentional, pluralistic communities that help them vision and embody how the world could be.
- Launch your career in social justice. After matching with a placement organization, you’ll contribute meaningfully to on-the-ground efforts on crucial justice issues such as immigration, housing insecurity, education, healthcare, the criminal legal system, and more. Gain a year of hands-on experience with a supportive community by your side.
- Dive into deep learning. Through experiential programming, you’ll explore different visions for movements for justice, the role of community in creating a more just world, and how you want to show up as a Jew in justice work. Our dynamic curriculum will deepen and contextualize your day-to-day work, while supporting you in finding your place in broader justice movements.
- Have your basic needs met. Avodah takes care of the most important things. Corps Members receive furnished housing, a monthly living stipend, health insurance, an exit stipend, and a travel allowance. Corps Members can also tap into the economic access fund to support unmet financial needs.
- Join our active alumni network for life. Our community of over 1,500 Jewish social justice professionals and activists across the country are there to help with apartment hunts, job references, Shabbat dinner invites, mentorship, and everything in between.
Jews of Color (JOCs) can also apply for our JOC Bayit, an affinity space within the Jewish Service Corps designed to nurture the leadership and well-being of Jews of Color.
Avodah is committed to building a service corps that inclusively represents the diverse Jewish Community. Sephardi Jews, Mizrahi Jews, Jews of Color, people of color, women, people with disabilities, immigrants, LGBT2QIA people, and people who come from poor or working class backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply!
The last deadline before rolling admissions is March 27th. Apply by this date for your best chance of becoming a Jewish Service Corps Member. Please visit avodah.net/serve, or email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more or nominate a friend.