Site Name: USA – Pennsylvania – Upper Providence
Posted Date: Mar 13 2023
Are you looking for an engineering role that leverages your technical capabilities and allows you to drive system and equipment improvements? If so, this role could be an ideal opportunity to explore.
We’re seeking a highly motivated process engineer to join our Drug Substance Development team at our Upper Providence site, in the suburbs of Philadelphia. As a member of Drug Substance Development, you will use your engineering knowledge and expertise to scale up processes for primary manufacture and contribute to the development and deployment of state-of-the-art processes and technologies to enable the delivery of our medicines.
Drug Substance Development supports the small molecule and biopharm portfolio in GSK Pharma R&D and develops the manufacturing routes and processes that turn those molecules into medicines. Through our network of 86 manufacturing sites, each year we produce nearly 4 billion packs of medicine and we are committed to widening access to our products so that more people may benefit.
Located less than 30 miles from the center of Philadelphia, our R&D hub at Upper Providence, is built on 281 acres of gently rolling land and is home to over 3,000 of our R&D staff. With this concentration of scientists, you will find a culture that inspires innovation, teamwork, and personal development while operating with transparency, respect and integrity.
At GSK we are committed to overcoming some of the biggest challenges in global health; delivering products of value in a responsible, sustainable way; and providing access to medicine for the world’s poorest communities.
The environment is highly technical and dynamic as you will be collaborating across multi-disciplinary project teams. You will thrive in this environment if you are able to effectively prioritize and manage multiple tasks, communicate your recommendations clearly, and if you are a team player who enjoys working in diverse teams.
Yours is a practical role where you will combine the information generated in laboratory studies with your strong knowledge of synthetic organic chemistry to identify the critical attributes towards the development of sustainable pharmaceutical manufacturing routes and processes. As projects advance through development, pilot plant support may also be required across scales, culminating in the transfer of projects to our commercial manufacturing facilities around the globe.
Success in this role will require practical process engineering skills combined with a curious, inquisitive nature, and a passion for working in the laboratory in a safe manner while developing innovative science and learning new skills. You will be working independently in the lab, being able to plan and execute your own workload and deliver high quality results.
At GSK we are committed to growing with our talent, and we will provide you the tools to own and design your development plan and pursue a career trajectory in the areas that interest you the most. Working at GSK offers opportunity to broaden your experience across R&D and our medicine supply chain. Subject to approval of reasonable request GSK are a modern employer and offer flexible working hours and conditions.
The Process Engineering team delivers technical knowledge and chemical engineering expertise to support the development of active pharmaceutical ingredient (API) manufacturing processes at GSK. We are seeking a highly motivated scientist to perform organic synthesis at kilo scale. The role is fast-paced and dynamic, and you will be working on multi-disciplinary teams.
- Execute laboratory protocols and experiments for key chemical unit operations to contribute high quality chemical engineering knowledge to project teams, informing R&D decision making
- Identify potential scale-up issues and provide engineering solutions, making innovative contributions to the robust design and manufacture of API processes
- Develop process models for key chemical unit operations which demonstrate predictive capability and first-principles process understanding.
- Work effectively and collaboratively on multi-disciplinary development teams, alongside Chemists, Chemical Analysts, Engineers, Modelers and Material Scientists to deliver work packages required to understand API unit operations for effective scale-up.
- Characterize chemical processing equipment across multiple scales and manufacturing sites, delivering key engineering knowledge for the successful scale-up of API manufacturing processes. Anticipate problems equipment and scale-up risks and provide engineering solutions.
- Perform data management and some data interpretation, recording results effectively and communicating results in technical reports. Effectively present at internal meetings. May participate in technical reviews on projects.
- Comply with local regulatory and data integrity requirements, including cGMP and GSK policies and procedures, with high quality and attention to one’s own safety.
BS in Chemical Engineering or equivalent (i.e. mechanical engineering, bioengineering, biomedical engineering)
Preferred qualifications (in addition to basic qualifications):
- Experience in reaction engineering, separation technologies, fluid dynamics, scale-up of pharmaceutical unit operations, and/or systems modeling
- Experience in making contributions to multi-disciplinary pharmaceutical product development teams, with a track record of collaboration
- Broad knowledge of process development in support of manufacturing development
- A working knowledge of Quality by Design (QbD) principles and/or a risk-based approach to pharmaceutical development
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Proven ability to troubleshoot and diagnose problems
- Working knowledge of organic chemistry