Villanova University has many Business and Operations-specific programs, groups, and tools. Be sure to review our career readiness resources to help you prepare, campus engagement opportunities to integrate yourself into the industry, and options for networking with fellow Wildcats.
Industry Advising and Career Counseling
Our team of Industry Advisors and Career Counselors are available for appointments via Handshake.
- Our team of Industry Advisors provides industry-specific career support to students and young alumni with focused career goals within a particular company or industry area. They possess knowledge of recruiting practices, trends, hiring timelines, and employer relationships to enhance your job or internship search.
- The counselors on our Career Development team aid in developing application materials (resumes, cover letters, personal statements, LinkedIn profiles), practicing interviewing and networking skills and learning the fundamentals of any successful job or internship search.
Resumes, Cover Letters and More
Resumes, cover letters and other professional correspondence you send during the application process is critical to your job or internship success. It is important that these materials adequately represent who you are as a professional and that you are showcasing your brand as a candidate seeking an opportunity in the accounting industry. For information on resumes, cover letters and more, check out these resources here.
Develop Relevant Skills with LinkedIn Learning
LinkedIn Learning is a leading online education platform featuring thousands of courses taught by industry experts. Courses on the site enable you to explore and develop expertise in a range of subjects to boost your marketability. Villanova offers LinkedIn Learning to all students, as well as alumni who graduated within the past 12 months.
Critical Skills, Tools, and Technologies Utilized by Professionals in Business on LinkedIn:
- Data Analysis
- Business Analysis
- Business Intelligence (BI)
- Customer Relationship Management
- Process Improvement
Update Your Career Interests in Handshake
- Click your photo in the upper right-hand corner to open the drop-down, then choose Career Interests
- Which industries interest you?
- Select all that apply. Make sure you don’t forget “Financial Services”,” Investment Banking”, “Investment/Portfolio Management”, “Commercial Banking Credit”,” Real Estate”, “Insurance” and “Human Resources.”
- Which kinds of jobs, or job functions, interest you?
- Select all that apply. Make sure you don’t forget “Financial Services”, “Investment Banking”, “Investment/Portfolio Management”, “Commercial Banking Credit”,” Real Estate”, “Insurance” and “Human Resources.”
- Be sure to update all of your Career Interests, including where you’d like to live after graduation, to ensure that you receive the best-targeted information from the Career Center. Remember, you can update your interests at any time!
Annual Events to Attend at Villanova University
- VSB O’Donnell Center: Careers in Corporate Finance & Accounting (Fall)
- BRIDGE Society Mentoring & Networking Event: Exploring Careers in Finance (Fall)
- What Liberal Arts Students Need to Know About Finance Workshops (Fall)
- Wall Street Meetups (Spring)
- Society Events: e.g. Women in Business Conference (Fall)
- Employer On-Campus and Virtual Recruiting: information sessions, coffee chats, career fairs, information tables
Villanova Student Societies
Business Analytics Society, Management Information Society, Professional Selling Society, Villanova Marketing Group, Real Estate Society, Villanova Finance Group, Villanova Entrepreneurship Society, Ascend, Association of Latino Professionals for America (ALPFA), International Business Society, Society of Women of Color (SWOC), Villanova Women in Business Society, VSB Book Club
Find a Mentor
A mentoring relationship is a learning and development partnership between two people, typically a more experienced person (mentor) and a less experienced person (mentee). The relationship can last days, weeks, semesters or even years depending on the goals and experiences of the people in it. Mentors and mentees discuss topics like personal and professional decisions, explorations of career paths and ways to navigate a career.
- Find a mentor through Formal Mentor Programs at Villanova, Faculty, the Nova Network, LinkedIn, as well as your own personal network.
- An informational interview is a conversation where you have the chance to ask someone else questions about their profession, career path, and more. It is common in the working world to conduct informational interviews with individuals who currently have jobs you think may be a fit for you.
- Find professionals to interview using resources like the Nova Network, LinkedIn Alumni Tool, as well as your own personal network.
- Here are some groups on NovaNetwork that can help you get started – VSB Mentor Program Group and CLAS BRIDGE Society.