Villanova University has many nursing-specific programs, groups, and tools. Be sure to review our career readiness resources, explore our campus engagement opportunities to integrate yourself into the industry, and see options for networking with fellow Wildcats.
Industry Advising and Career Counseling
Our team of Industry Advisors and Career Counselors are available for appointments viaHandshake.
- Our team of Industry Advisors provides industry-specific career support to students and young alumni with focused career goals within a particular company or industry area. They possess knowledge of recruiting practices, trends, hiring timelines, and employer relationships to enhance your job or internship search.
- The counselors on our Career Development team aid in developing application materials (resumes, cover letters, personal statements, LinkedIn profiles), practicing interviewing and networking skills and learning the fundamentals of any successful job or internship search.
Resumes, Cover Letters and More
Resumes, cover letters and other professional correspondence you send during the application process is critical to your job or internship success. It is important that these materials adequately represent who you are as a professional and that you are showcasing your brand as a candidate seeking an opportunity in the nursing industry. For information on resumes, cover letters and more, check out these resources here.
Develop Relevant Skills with LinkedIn Learning
LinkedIn Learning is a leading online education platform featuring thousands of courses taught by industry experts. Courses on the site enable you to explore and develop expertise in a range of subjects to boost your marketability. Villanova offers LinkedIn Learning to all students, as well as alumni who graduated within the past 12 months.
Critical Skills, Tools and Technologies utilized by professionals in Nursing on LinkedIn:
- Holistic Patient Care
- Patient and Family Education
- Patient Advocacy
- Safety Protocols
- Ethics and Confidentiality
- Emotional Intelligence, Empathy and Compassion
- Healthcare Technologies (EPIC)
- Medical Record Management
LinkedIn Learning Courses to Develop Skills Relevant to The Nursing Industry:
- Credentials are reference letters and other materials used to support applications for employment or graduate study. Establishing and maintaining a credentials file enables you to compile all of your resources in one centralized location.
- A file may be opened at any time and can be maintained for up to seven years after graduation. There is no cost to start or maintain a file.
- Once this file is created, your credentials can be presented in a concise, professional format.
- Please don’t hesitate to reach out to the Credentials Secretary at 610.519.4060 or email@example.com with any questions.
Update Your Career Interests in Handshake
- Click your photo in the upper right-hand corner to open the drop-down, then choose Career Interests
- Which industries interest you?
- Select “healthcare”
- Which kinds of jobs, or job functions, interest you?
- Select “registered nurse” as well as any other roles that interest you such as “pediatric registered nurse”
- Be sure to update all of your Career Interests, including where you’d like to live after graduation, to ensure that you receive the best-targeted information from the Career Center. Remember, you can update your interests at any time!
- The platform, LiquidCompass, collects every job posting from nearly all healthcare employers each day. To be certain they’re clean and not duplicated, LiquidCompass gets postings directly from each employer’s career site. Then, they thoroughly index them providing jobseekers with real-time information and efficiency in the search process.
- In addition to the job search feature, the platform also has a list of featured employers seeking Villanova graduates as well as blog articles
- NurseJournal is a comprehensive online resource for current and future nursing students, as well as recent graduates seeking licensure and full-time employment.
- Highlighted webpages include nursing jobs outside of hospitals and a guide to the NCLEX exam. NurseJournal also offers in-depth profiles for registered nurses, and advanced practice nurses.
Annual Events to Attend at Villanova University
- Nursing Career Fair (fall)
- Society Events: SNAP Convention (Fall), Undergraduate Nursing Senate Externship Panel (Fall)
- Employer On-Campus and Virtual Recruiting: information sessions, coffee chats, career fairs, information tables
- Many employers also host nursing-specific events at their hospital or healthcare system – be sure to register on Handshake!
Villanova Student Societies Student Nurses’ Association of Pennsylvania (SNAP) – Villanova Chapter | Undergraduate Nursing Senate | Nursing Without Borders | Multicultural Student Nurses Organization (MSNO) | Men in Nursing | Graduate Nurse Network
Find a Mentor
A mentoring relationship is a learning and development partnership between two people, typically a more experienced person (mentor) and a less experienced person (mentee). The relationship can last days, weeks, semesters or even years depending on the goals and experiences of the people in it. Mentors and mentees discuss topics like personal and professional decisions, explorations of career paths and ways to navigate a career.
- Find a mentor through Formal Mentor Programs at Villanova, Faculty, the Nova Network, LinkedIn, as well as your own personal network.
- An informational interview is a conversation where you have the chance to ask someone else questions about their profession, career path, and more. It is common in the working world to conduct informational interviews with individuals who currently have jobs you think may be a fit for you.
- Find professionals to interview using resources like the Nova Network, LinkedIn Alumni Tool, as well as your own personal network.
- Here are some groups on NovaNetwork that can help you get started – Villanovans in Nursing on LinkedIn, Villanovans in Healthcare on Nova Network